Increasing sales online is the primary objective of every business, large or small alike. Today, there are more e-commerce stores than ever. Even the brick and mortar companies that were reluctant to be a part of this shift to digital space have begun to embrace the online model in the retrospect of the COVID 19 economic crisis.
Did you know Nazdaq estimated that by 2040 almost 95% of all purchases will be done online!
The confluence of consumer pull and retailer push has truly exploded the online industry. It can also be said that online selling and purchasing has become the new standard in consumer shopping.
This unprecedented rise has made the industry devilishly competitive.
The question is, how to beat the competition?
Here are seven proven ways you can boost traffic and sales online:
Table of Contents
1. User Experience
You have a great product with amazing features, competitive pricing, and an online store all giddied up to sell your product.
But if your website’s UX and UI are not on point your sales numbers won’t either.
User experience or UX is the functionality, aesthetic, and feel of your online store across different devices. Essentially it refers to your website design. It encompasses the user’s experience in purchasing a product from your online store.
Here are some basic things you can do to improve your store’s user experience:
- Spam Interface: Do not use too many pop-ups, forms, or make the customer click too many times to purchase your product.
- Mandatory Sign-up: This is one of the most common mistakes that will increase the bounce rate of your website. Do not force your user to sign up on your website. Instead, give them an incentive to sign up. For instance, “Free Shipping if You Sign Up With Us.”
- Be Transparent: Advertise exactly what you deliver. Do not have any hidden fees.
- Customer Support: E-commerce sales work round the clock, so ensure your store has 24*7 customer support. Use features such as live chats, chatbots, or FAQs.
- Website Speed: Keep speed as high as possible. No one likes to wait. Your bounce rate is proportional to the navigational lags on your website.
- Content: Do not copy-paste content from other websites. Plagiarism is not good for SEO as well as user experience.
2. Mobile Optimization
Gone are the days where the web was dominated by responsive design. Today, mobile optimization has gained credence over most other strategies.
It essentially refers to a website optimized to work on a mobile device. Most search engines today rank websites higher based on their mobile friendliness.
Today, a lot of users prefer purchasing from mobile phones instead of laptops or PCs. So, it is important you optimize your online store for handheld devices.
You must have come across websites on your smartphone that has tiny buttons, endless scrolls, and pop-ups that cloud your screen. It is very frustrating and annoying.
Here’s a fun fact for you – mobile users spend almost twice the amount of time on their devices than laptop or PC users.
3. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
In this cut-throat e-commerce competition, implementing SEO techniques can certainly give you an edge over your competitors.
But the bitter fact of this industry is there are not cemented SEO strategies that hold true over the test of time.
They constantly change and you have to be on your toes to adapt accordingly. But do not fret, here are some techniques that can help boost sales:
- Keyword Optimization: Keywords are key for any SEO strategy. Use keywords in your website content properly so as to make your customer feel as if they have landed at exactly the place they wanted to be at. If you are an SEO beginner, GoogleAdWords is a great place to begin your keyword research journey.
- Content: A keyword is nothing without good content. The content is a tool to convert prospects. Develop content that is designed to give a solution your customer is seeking. This includes landing pages, blogs, infographics, videos, guest blogs, etc.
- On-Page SEO: Use these techniques to make your content more search engine friendly. This will help you rank higher on SERPs.
4. PPC Campaigns
PPC advertisements remain one of the best ways to increase sales and ROI for online stores.
Essentially, these are advertisements centered around a keyword that will help increase traffic on your website. And as these can be implemented immediately, you can get quick results even for a new e-commerce store.
While this is not a long-term solution, PPC campaigns can be effectively used alongside organic lead generation campaigns.
Here is how you can constantly optimize your PPC Campaigns:
- Update keywords on a regular basis based on their search volume and competition.
- Ensure the security of your website.
- Create local landing pages to target a specific audience.
- Using ad extensions is always advantageous.
5. Social Media Marketing
Today, social media is one of the most effective ways to generate solid ROIs.
Yes, social media is simply not just about brand awareness. Most businesses use social media to engage with their audience. But you are not utilizing its full potential. You need to start using these channels to increase sales.
Here is how you can increase sales using social media:
- Use the channels that your target audience uses. Observe your demographic and target the platforms where they are most active.
- Social media influencers can be a great marketing tool for your business.
- Engage with your loyal users and convert them into your brand advocates.
- Educate and entice through your social media content.
- Use social media advertising to explore its potential.
6. Implement Trust Factors
buySAFE suggested that about 81% of users are concerned when shopping at a new online store.
That is why establishing trust with your customers is crucial. To remove any concerns, there are some ways you can win the trust of your users.
- Share your story. Humanize your mission or vision with an “About Us” page.
- Design your website professionally. Most users will bounce off your website if the site’s design looks ugly and feels complicated.
- Prove the legitimacy of your business with your contact information.
- Make sure you have no broken links on your landing pages.
7. Pop up offers
The attention spans of users are getting shorter and the e-commerce competition is getting thicker with each passing day.
As per Google, typically, a user spends about 15 seconds on a given page. That means, from the time the customer lands on your page you need to give them a reason to stay as quickly and effectively as possible.
Thankfully, pop-ups are there to help you.
While pop-up advertising is notorious for its invasiveness, if effectively used, it can be a boom for your business.
They are mostly used to attract your customers on the pretext of discounts and other offers. You can optimize them regularly as per the type of sale you want to offer.
Most importantly, use pop-ups and banners to communicate deals and whatever you are offering effectively.
Final Thoughts: 7 Proven Ways to Boost Sales in Online Store
Selling online is more competitive than ever. You need to be a step ahead of your competition to make your business a success. So, charter your course to success with these 7 proven ways to boost your online sales.
Let us know what you think about these strategies in the comment section below.
Also, share this post with your friends and online store owners who are looking for some ways to boost sales to grow their online store.
If you have any questions feel free to contact me. I’m always available to help young hustlers like you.
This is a guest post written by Simon Mikail.
Simon is one of the founders and head of operations at 405 Ads. Simon serves as an online marketing manager to businesses and agencies worldwide. His overall business and marketing experience has helped hundreds of business owners get their presence done right when it comes to today’s online world. You can also follow Simon on Linkedin.
If you want to submit guest posts to Inuidea, check out the guest post guidelines for Inuidea.