Being at the airport, passengers sometimes get bored, especially if they arrive earlier or the flight is delayed.
How to entertain yourself while waiting for a flight?
Maybe it will be good to read a book or visit the shops to entertain yourself? Or maybe you prefer playing online games?
Let’s consider several ways to entertain yourself at the airport in detail.
11 Ways to Entertain Yourself at the Airport
Here are several recommendations on how to entertain yourself when waiting for a flight:
- Take cool photos. If you like photography, the airport is one of the best places. Here, you can take various photos, including airplanes, architecture, or different equipment.
- Sports training or how to entertain yourself with exercise. Almost any airport is equipped with an excellent gym and fitness club. It is a wonderful way to pass the time for two reasons. Firstly, an energetic activity invigorates and cheers you up, and secondly, pleasant fatigue after training will make you sleep well. It is important during the flight, even if your neighbor has a capricious child.
- Observe. At the airport, you can see a lot of people. It’s a mixture of cultures and behavioral types. You have the opportunity to learn and observe the behavior of other people. It can be really fun, and it is a great way to entertain yourself without gadgets.
- Solve crosswords or Sudoku puzzles. Most shops at the airport sell puzzles and crosswords. They are a perfect solution for people who do not know how to entertain themselves. Besides, they are a great opportunity to exercise your brain.
- Read a book. Bring a book with you in your carry-on luggage or download it to your tablet. You can also listen to an audiobook, which will help you relax and entertain yourself on a trip.
- You can work. You can easily find a place in the waiting room (or in restaurants) next to sockets or USB ports. So, you can work remotely by charging your laptop or smartphone. Usually, all airports have fast, open Wi-Fi networks, so you can easily work or entertain yourself on the Internet.
- Download TV series, movies, or games. This item is relevant for both children and adults. If your child is naughty and crying loudly, you can distract them with a downloaded cartoon or a game. You can also entertain yourself with games and TV series, and time will fly.
- Communicate with people. The airport is like a small world. This is a place where you can meet people of various nationalities. You could talk to them to learn more about their country and customs. This is a great way to pass the time if you do not know how to entertain yourself when you’re bored. These people may also be bored and will not mind communication to entertain themselves. And the information they give may be useful for your next vacation or your child’s school project.
- Walking around the city. If you do not know how to entertain yourself for 4 hours you have, then a walk around the city is a great way to pass the time. Each place has its own architecture and flavor. You can take a guidebook with you. All you need is documents, some local currency, and enough time. If you are not sure if it is safe for foreigners to walk around this city, ask the police for information.
- Yoga for travel. Great stretching exercises can calm you down and tone your muscles.
- Sleep. If none of the suggested options suit you, or you are simply too tired, you can use your free time to sleep. Put on earpieces not to be disturbed. And do not forget to set the alarm, because you need to be sure that you won’t miss your flight.
These tips to entertain yourself will help you pass the time and not get bored at the airport.
Airport Amenities to Entertain Yourself
Spas. Did you know that many airports offer a spa to their passengers? You can take a shower, go to any procedure, rejuvenate and relax both alone and with friends. It is a great option to entertain yourself before a long flight because you can calm down and relax. Many airports take care of their passengers and do everything to ensure that their clients fly on airplanes with positive emotions and in a good mood.
Restaurants and cafes. Sometimes it’s hard to count how many cafes and restaurants are at the airport. They are located on all floors, on every corner. There is a lot of information publicly available on the Internet about establishments at certain airports, including average checks you get while visiting them. Choose what you like and can afford.
VIP halls. If you are used to waiting for a flight in the most comfortable atmosphere and conditions, VIP and Business halls are what you need. They are usually booked in advance. The booking form is available directly on the airports’ websites. You will receive lunch, breakfast, or dinner at restaurants, drinks at the bar, access to meeting rooms, free and fast Internet to entertain yourself, and assistance with luggage packing. In addition, you will be taken by a special shuttle to the plane ramp, and upon arrival, you will be met and taken to the airport terminal.
Capsule hotels. An invention that greatly simplifies booking a hotel located outside the airport. The capsules are usually located directly in the airport. You just pay for a few hours of being in it. There is a TV, a bed, a mirror, USB ports, and sockets. You can significantly save both money and time. After all, you don’t have to take a taxi and go to the nearest hotel. The only disadvantage is poor sound insulation. Therefore, take earplugs with you if you want to sleep in silence.
How to Behave at the Airport: Warnings
Here are some useful recommendations on how to behave yourself at the airport while waiting for the flight:
- Keep track of the time and listen to the announcements. Sometimes boarding a delayed flight can be moved to another exit, and if you do not know this, you may be in the wrong place when your plane departs.
- You may want to entertain yourself by communicating with other people. But some people do not want to communicate. Be amiable and polite, but not too intrusive.
- Keep an eye on your belongings; they can often be stolen at the airport. Be on your guard!
- Visiting the shops, do not load yourself with a bunch of packages. It will be more difficult for you to move around in a crowded airport; besides, you will cause inconvenience both to yourself and the passengers.
- Do not forget that some (small) airports are closed for the night. So even if you are allowed to stay inside to wait for the morning flight, you may have to sit on an uncomfortable chair for hours. In that case, you’d better find a hotel nearby.
Obligations of the Airline in Case of Flight Delay:
- Organize the storage of your luggage for free;
- If the flight is delayed for more than two hours – provide soft drinks, two phone calls, or two email messages;
- If the flight is delayed for more than four hours – provide hot meals (and then every 6 hours during the day, and every 8 hours at night);
- If the flight is delayed for more than six hours at night – hotel accommodation and transfer;
- If the flight is delayed for more than eight hours during the daytime – hotel accommodation and transfer.
Entertain yourself definition implies performing certain actions to pass the time and not to get bored. “How can I entertain myself while waiting for the flight?” – some may wonder.
Airports usually have many options to entertain yourself if the flight is delayed or you arrive at the airport much earlier. You can read books, entertain yourself by watching TV series, listen to music, and play games.
You can spend your time usefully, having received pleasant emotions and impressions. Except for gadgets and books, modern airports can offer you a very wide range of services. These are various shops, restaurants, cafes, bars, gyms, hairdressers, separate halls for VIPs, and much more.
Of course, as a rule, all these things are rather expensive, but if you have the opportunity to spend money on it, then why not entertain yourself in such a way.
What other ways to entertain yourself at the airport can you suggest?
Please, feel free to share your opinion in the comments and write your ways to entertain yourself at the airport.